Every woman is different in size and shape. External appearances are obvious, but variations are also evident in private areas such as labia that are swollen or disfigured. Labia changes can occur due to childbirth and natural ageing, resulting in an appearance or function that is unsatisfactory.
Labiaplasty surgery assists by addressing changes, defects or abnormalities of the labia. The surgery dramatically improves the labia appearance, providing new-found confidence and the potential for greater intimacy.
Labiaplasty is useful in treating labia minora (inner labia) that has become oversized, elongated or asymmetrical. The operation typically includes reducing the size of prominent labia – often the result of tearing or stretching. The inner labia are sometimes most noticeable during sexual arousal, when it can swell dramatically.
Firstly, it’s worth noting that there are huge natural variations in the vaginal appearance of women. However, there are situations where a woman’s health, comfort, self-esteem or intimacy can be affected, and labiaplasty surgery is a viable option. Your consultation with Dr Valente will provide the encouragement required, the information needed, and the confidence to appreciate that good outcomes are attainable.
Dr Valente understands the private and sensitive nature of labiaplasty. Women are naturally reluctant to discuss sexual issues, and every step of the process is treated with a caring and professional approach. Any concerns regarding labiaplasty surgery can be addressed during your consultation. These may include:
- Any risks associated with the surgery or recovery
- Restrictions in the use of tampons and hygiene products
- Potential loss of sensation
- Any possible effects on pregnancy or childbirth
- Realistic expectations of labiaplasty surgery
- The cost of labiaplasty surgery
Labiaplasty surgery procedure
There are a variety of labiaplasty surgical procedures for restructuring and shaping the labia. Methods include:
- Central wedge resection: The inner labia is trimmed by removing a wedge of tissue. A natural appearance is retained as the inner labia sits discretely within the folds of the outer labia.
- Edge resection: An excessively protruding inner labia can become too noticeable or prominent. Edge resection trims the extended inner labia, creating symmetry and balance.
- De-epithelialization: Epithelium tissue lining the side of the labia is removed. Overall labia size is reduced while still retaining its natural edge.
- Labiaplasty with clitoral unhooding: Thick skin on the clitoral hood can impede sexual arousal. It can also be aesthetically displeasing. The clitoral hood can be repositioned, potentially assisting with tightening of the inner labia.
Most labiaplasty is performed as a day-surgery, allowing patients to return home for recovery. Dr Valente is on hand for follow-up appointments and is qualified to prescribe pain relief medication as required. The operation itself is safe and highly successful when performed by an experienced professional.
Recovering from labiaplasty
You will need the assistance of a family member or friend to drive you home after surgery. It’s helpful to have someone with you for the first couple of recovery days as your movements should be limited. There will be some initial swelling and soreness as your body recovers.
You will be advised by medical staff about cleansing the surgical site post-operation. Rest is most important for the first two to three days, as there should be no activity or movement that impedes healing. You will need to take a week off work and regular activities to ensure full healing and recovery, and abstinence from sexual activity is advised for several weeks. Recovery is an individual process, so it’s important to closely monitor improvements until healing is complete and comfort has returned.
Labiaplasty is an extremely safe and successful surgery, with outcomes that include greater quality of life, increased intimacy and a general feeling of well-being. It has become a common procedure due to previously taboo subjects gaining more coverage and women begin to take charge of their feminine appearance.